skip to main content
When Dental Crown or Filling Falls Out | United Concordia

What to Do When Your Dental Crown or Filling Falls Out

A temporary fix for one of dentistry’s most annoying problems


Losing a filling or a crown can be a pain—in more ways than one. Take a deep breath. Here’s how you can handle the situation until you get an appointment to see your dentist.

How to care for a lost crown or dental filling:

  1. Apply a small dab of petroleum jelly inside the crown.
  2. Place crown back on the tooth to create a temporary seal.
  3. Avoid using that tooth.
  4. See your dentist as soon as possible.

CAUTION: Considering temporary commercial crown cements? If they’re applied incorrectly, they can cause major bite and cosmetic problems.

ALTERNATIVES: Use over-the-counter temporary dental filling or orthodontic wax until you can see a dentist.

NOTE: A temporary fix is just that—temporary. Your teeth can still decay and shift until a permanent filling or crown is placed, so see your dentist right away.

Want to save money on dental expenses?

It’s easy: If you’re having trouble, see a dentist immediately. Why? Because the longer you wait to get help for dental issues, the greater the chance for more problems and expense.

Learn more:

How to care for a broken tooth

What to do if you’ve lost a tooth

How to ease the pain of a toothache